Sunday, April 21, 2013

WEBBER: CH 20-21

Call me old fashioned, but I still moved when I am given the privilege to take part (especially within a community) in the Sacred Sacraments. For some reason (one that I've very glad about) keeping Biblical traditions and watching them be honored still within in today's church just devastates me. I the beauty that takes place when we honor the ancient tradition that our ancestors have done to all honor the same God in the same way is just a small reason why I am so taken with this particular tradition. I am bought to the foot of the cross each time I take communion. I am overtaken with the outstanding remembrance of such an overwhelming sacrifice. What a blessing my hear receives when I am able to honor and thank my creator for such a priceless gift by such a simple act that I, as a child, once just saw and a mid-service-snack! 

I take Communion and Baptism in particular, very seriously. I tend to get "judgey" when I see people just pop the bread and wine in their mouth and go straight back to the their seat without even a shred-of-a-millisecond of reminiscent stillness for what they are partaking in. I know I am just as guilty of doing this in my past on occasion, but I am SO THANKFUL God has even given me the passion to even care about tradition as much as I do. Otherwise those people wouldn't bug me and I wouldn't give a second thought to a half-inch piece of a day-old bread and some extra-tart warm grape juice. 

The challenge for me, is to take all the sacraments with just as much seriousness and reverence as I do for Communion and Baptism. Even though these are less-practced I think I should expand my appreciation, understanding and respect for them. 

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with you Abby! I just adore tradition and really wish more churches would incorporate them regularly and that they would take them serious. My top two are the same as yours! So many churches now just put those cups of juice with the round cracker on top, under the chairs and then encourage the congregation to take it during a worship song. The thing lacking is the teaching and reminder of why we take communion. Maybe I am just "old school" when it comes to things like this, but I think having an understanding of why something is done, has way more impact! I think old fashioned is good, rock that old fashioned mentality girl!!

    ReplyDelete